Welcome and May God Bless you this day!

I pray for all who may read my blog! I hope it is uplifting and maybe even funny. Lol! My boys are that is for sure!

Holding on to God

Holding on to God

Monday, February 15, 2010

home remedies

So I came back from my wonderful weekend alone with my wonderful Husband to find all my boys have hacking coughs and some have fevers. I have tried some natural cough medicine from the store and have seen no improvement so am trying three home remedy's. One is Onion juice. Sounds nasty but am gonna try it. Here is the recipe:
This is not a cure, but a treatment for stuffy phlegmmy cold sufferers, passed down from my grandmother Ethel. Recipe: take two large yellow onions, peeled,halved and quartered. Place in a small saucepan and just cover with water. Add about two cups of sugar. The water should be grainy, as there should be so much sugar that it doesn’t dissolve completely. Bring to a rapid boil and stir until all sugar is absorbed. Lower temperature to a rolling boil and simmer uncovered until onions are mush and liquid has a very syrupy consistency. Remove from heat, and be careful, as this is boiled sugar here, don’t burn yourself! Completely mush the onions, and if you’re finicky (or your patient is) sieve syrup to get rid of onion bits, although this step is not truly necessary as onion syrup just happens to taste delicious. Decant into a glass jar. Administer every couple of hours or so by the tablespoonful to deep-chest cold victims who cough a lot and have a lot of phlegm. Best if taken warm. keeps a good week or a little more in the fridge. after that, it can be frozen for the next cold

The second one is much more simple. Honey and Lemon juice in hot water and drink. For coughs. The boys liked that one and Josh said his throat felt better.

The third one was given to me by my sister in law. It is called Goot lol funny name!
GOOT

3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
3 Tbsp Coconut oil
3 Tbsp Olive oil

If the coconut oil isn't liquid then melt it before adding to the rest. Put all three in the blender and blend til smooth. It's good to strain it through something (even a slotted spoon) to get the big chucks of garlic out. Then chill for an hour. After the hour it should have a paste like consistency. I normally put it on their feet, with socks over it (less mess that way) but you can also rub it on his chest.
There you go!

I am determined to get these boys better! I will right how it goes later! I might try a raisin one I found also.
It is like a chain reaction of coughing here. Sigh..... At least Kiah isn't coughing so bad right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment