Welcome and May God Bless you this day!

I pray for all who may read my blog! I hope it is uplifting and maybe even funny. Lol! My boys are that is for sure!

Holding on to God

Holding on to God

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tooth Enamel Regeneration
October 1, 2007 I have decided to write about my children’s teeth after reading this article by The Nourisher.

Yesterday I filled out a permission form and a questionnaire from a NSW university who want to come test our youngest’s class for tooth decay to gather fluoride, diet and tooth decay statistics. We had a lot of fun, my eldest (12) and I, answering the questions on the form. Questions like, how many cups of juice, soft drink, cordial does your child eat each day, to which I answered ZERO. How many sweets? ZERO. Fruit? ZERO, sweetened yogurt? ZERO. How many cups of milk per day? EIGHT! Ha Ha, so fun – 2 1/2 times what is ‘recommended’. How many serves of meat, FOUR to SIX…….

We turned the page to see a set of pictures depicting different sized tooth brushes. The question was ‘which size does your child use?’ My answer was NONE. We read the next question, “At what age did you child begin brushing his teeth?” NEVER. Are you shocked yet? A few more questions about how much tooth paste we use and when did our child first see a dentist, to which our answer was, you guessed it, NEVER.

Joanne follows Weston A. Price; He studied at length the diets of many isolated cultures around the world in the 1930’s and found that they had no dental decay – at all. This picture is of farm girls, (who have had their teeth cleaned by Price) who lived in a cut-off valley in Switzerland. They lived off milk products, fermented rye breads, broths and meats supplemented with some vegetables in summer (photo from Nutrition and Physical Degeneration). They had perfect teeth. No dentist (or doctor) existed in their community at that time. Things only changed when roads were built into their valley sometime after Price’s visit, commercial bakeries and dairies appeared. The dentists followed soon afterward.

Another relevant book is: “Man Versus Toothache” by George W. Heard (1952). Heard cites over and over again cases of farming men and women coming to his dental practice in the 1950’s with filthy, encrusted teeth, who had never, ever used a toothbrush. These teeth had taken all day to clean up, yet underneath the grime had revealed perfect, healthy, disease-free teeth.

Other people came to him for help as, even though they followed a strict regime of thrice-daily brushing, they showed rampant signs of tooth decay and had one or more fillings on every single tooth in their mouths. The difference in the two parties was that the first group had, all their lives, eaten some meat, unrefined (and usually fermented) wholegrain products, small amounts of sugar, drank raw milk every day, used other raw dairy products and grew their own fruit and vegetables. The second group had grown up eating pastries and bread from white flour, refined sugar, pasteurized milk and other denatured food of commerce and a small amount of tinned fruit and vegetables, even though they brushed their teeth religiously.

Price’s protocol for clients he saw with teeth ravaged from modern convenience foods? To put them on a diet which included copious amounts of butter fat and cod liver oil, whilst cutting out completely sugar and processed flour products (which inhibit vitamin and mineral absorption in the body). See Rami Nagel’s site for more info on this topic.

Dentists, it seems, concentrate on telling you to avoid the sugar and brush correctly in their half-hour scheduled slot with their patients, but believe it or not, improper brushing may not be the major cause of tooth decay. A diet lacking in minerals could be more to blame. Sugar does not just eat the teeth from the outside, but also depletes the body of these minerals from the inside – weakening the whole structure of the tooth. It is even worse to think that our children can ‘get away’ with eating sugar, so long as they brush their teeth before bed.

I found all this out about 18 months ago and since then, I have done my utmost to make sure my children have the best ‘tooth (and bone) protection diet’ I can give them. And they know about it. I reckon they are pretty savvy when it comes to unorthodox dental health – I mean, from the inside out that is. In addition to this, my teeth in the past have not been great, I had all my metal fillings removed slowly but surely, but still had issues with weak enamel and sensitivity.

So, in addition to good food I have also:

Removed fluoride from our water and toothpaste products. For more details on how exactly to do this click here.

Started brushing my teeth with a regular bar of soap (no artificial additives) and clay instead of toothpaste:
“Teeth re-mineralize when clean. TO MAKE TEETH CLEAN ONE BRUSHES WITH ANY BAR SOAP. (There are good toothpastes at the health food stores. Check the ingredients before buying. Don’t get anything with glycerine in it.) Soap washes off in just 2 rinses.” Dental Health by Gerard F. Judd, Ph.D. ( Check out this tooth soap and this other one.)

Started rinsing with Celtic Sea Salt dissolved in water: This will deliver essential minerals to the teeth, alkalize the mouth and flush bacteria away from cavities that have already formed (it is important to keep injured teeth clean; as although bacteria cannot attack enamel, it can attack dentine/pulp, see this).

Of course, the girls hate brushing with soap (!) and rinsing with salt, so I stopped giving them toothpaste which contains glycerin (most of the time they forget to brush anyway): “Glycerine in all toothpastes is so sticky that it takes 27 washes to get it off. Teeth brushed with any toothpaste are coated with a film and cannot properly re-mineralize.” Dental Health by Gerard F. Judd, Ph.D.

(Miessence glycerin-free toothpaste is the ONLY glycerin/fluoride free product I have found.)

Started eating a diet rich in essential minerals: We now consume raw dairy products, (milk, butter, cheese, whey) which have the full compliment of minerals, vitamins and enzymes. We eat mineral rich bone broths and have starting eating liver once a week. Yes, the vegetables are still in our home, but we never discard the mineral rich water used for steaming them, instead saving it for soups and sauces. Our table salt is now Celtic Sea Salt. Our (limited) sugar is now Rapadura. I cook with goose fat instead of olive oil.

Started taking pure cod liver oil. Not fish oil – cod liver oil. I found the best quality I could and take the dosages recommended on westonaprice.org. I hide it in banana smoothies for the girls.

The hardest thing for me has been to overcome the fear that I may be damaging my children’s (and my) teeth even more by following this regime. It feels kind of scary to go against the grain, but I have faith in smiles that had never seen a dentist, never had fluoride/glycerine added to their toothpastes (or water) and indeed, never seen toothpaste or a toothbrush.

One thing I have done is discussed this all with my dentist. He knows about Price. He told me that the man’s findings should be on the curriculum in dental schools, but unfortunately, it is not. Furthermore, his patients come to him to sort their teeth out – fill, straighten, replace and whiten them with minimal fuss – there is no reason to spread the word about Price’s findings because the general consensus nowadays is that if you eat sugar, you brush your teeth and visit the dentist regularly you’ll be OK. But my dentist knows better, it is not OK and its getting worse; most food on the market today does not support strong teeth or bones and brushing possibly does more harm than good, as it gives people a false sense of security.

My dentist is a man that does what he can under the circumstances, so that’s what he does.

However, he was full of hope for my children, who at 6 and 3, like The Nourisher’s kids, eat copious amounts of raw dairy, fatty meat, liver and broth, eat a minimal amount of sugar, brush their teeth when they can remember i.e. not often and with glycerin-free and fluoride-free toothpaste and have not yet had any cavities.

UPDATE October 2009: my last visit to the dentist: I had a clean bill of health. No more cavities, no more fillings, no more sensitivity. I have been on the Weston Price diet for three years and seem to have re-mineralized my teeth. No fillings for my children yet either – a great achievement!! I have an issue with a root canal however, given to me by a french dentist (without my knowledge) three years ago – for more info see here: is there a link between root canals and cancer?

45.833611 6.865000
Ads by Google

Do NOT Bleach Teeth
How To Turn Yellow Teeth White $4 Teeth Whitening Trick
yourdentistryguide.com/Best Tooth Paste
Try the New Crest 3D® White Toothpaste - Visibly Whitens Teeth
Toothpaste.3DWhite.comI Cured My Gum Disease
Stop Gum Disease in its Tracks with this Powerful All Natural Solution
www.oram-plus.com/gumdiseaseSmiles Orthodontics
Your local orthodontist in Wichita $250 Off New Treatment w/coupon
www.smilesortho.com

This is the site I found this from.
http://constantstateofflux.com/2007/10/01/tooth-regeneration/

No comments:

Post a Comment